Saturday, November 20, 2010

I lost ₩10,000 at the races



Relax! That's like, nine dollars.

In Korea, apparently, the racetrack is a non-sleazy place to bring your little kids for a Sunday afternoon outing.



Which I am in support of! When I visited the Seoul Race Park there were the requisite throngs of old men with racing forms chain smoking and chomping ginseng gum, but I didn't notice any real debauchery such as vomiting in trash cans à la Belmont Stakes. So I say, go for it, Mom and Dad!





In preparation for my day at the races, my husband Curtis gave me three key words for picking a winning pony: Nightshade, Pumpernickel, and Lapis Lazuli. Armed with this information, I arrived at the track and made my way to the optimistically named Lucky Ville Grandstand, where there is a translation service for foreigners who need help placing bets. After I was given a racing program in English and a quick tutorial, I scanned the list for connections to my keywords, but nothing was clicking. But! I did see a name I couldn't pass up: Golden Cat. The odds against Golden Cat were long, which appealed to me, so I bet it all on him to win, place, or show.



Golden Cat finished 7th, but I'd do it again.

1 comment:

  1. you should do a series of paintings of Korean horse races. For some reason I can totally see you pulling that off. They would be incredible.

    ReplyDelete