Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hanok Fabulous



Traditional Korean homes are called hanok, and although contemporary Koreans have generally moved away from the hanok and toward the cement high-rise apartment building, a few people still live in them and others serve as a Colonial Williamsburg-type lesson in Korean heritage.



Namsangol Hanok Village was pretty neat, despite the fact that no one was walking around in traditional clothing or making horseshoes.



















I remember something like this at the Enchanted Forest in Maryland.





I was really startled when I realized this was a napping person and not a mannequin.















In the distance in Namsan Tower.





After my stroll through Korean history, I went to Dongdaemun Market, and immediately wished I hadn't (so I left). Dongdaemun has over 20 malls and 30,000 shops, and stays open 18 hours a day so Koreans can go clothes shopping at any waking hour. Being a diminutive 5'3", Korean clothing malls were pretty amazing (everything fits!!!!) but the crowds were absolutely unbearable--much, much worse than anything I've experienced in New York. Plus, you're not allowed to try anything on first (what's that all about, Korea?)





No comments:

Post a Comment