Thursday, November 4, 2010

Here I am!

Made it!

I'm getting settled in Seoul Special City, trying to shed my jet lag, and finding my bearings. I am staying at the slightly decrepit but perfectly comfortable Alps Seoul guest house in Myeong-dong area, which is central Seoul and the home of many administrative buildings and gigantic shopping malls.

It seemed initially like I had no internet service, as the cable in my room appears to have been chewed on by an animal, and my first night I spent delirious and grumpy, hunting around the facilities for a wireless signal, finding one eventually in an upstairs shoe room/foyer with a light on a motion sensor timer set to turn off after 5 seconds, so I had to keep waving my arms around to be able to see. Lack of internet seemed very strange in Seoul--a city obsessed with technology--and indeed the next day I was given the wireless code, so now I get to blog from the comfort of my heated bed. Yay!

5 comments:

  1. Val! I think you should pretend you need to wave your hands to keep the lights even though you don't anymore. that will keep blood flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, I am reading your winning essay and will get back with my thoughts later. Being the cultural ambassador that you are, I expect REALLY good posts from you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you've had time to recouperate from the flight and time change. I'm looking forward to reading about Korean culture and arts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val New York without you is like New York without you. Your beautiful straw hat picture with steely sapphire eyes beckons me to Seoul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete